Being a Puerto Rican - American ...

Growing up, I had no clue I was Puerto Rican. I seriously thought I was white and my parents spoke Chinese, lol.  My parents wanted me to decide who I was and since I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. They were both born in America too, my dad in Cleveland and my mom in New York City.  My grandparents came here to Ohio for a better future from the Island of Puerto Rico.  So, to the Puerto Ricans, I cannot say I am Boricua because I was not born on the island but it is still a part of who I am and a part of my everyday life.

When I was in high school I decided to take Spanish and learn more about the language. I had the basics from my parents, such as colors, items around the house, and my numbers but I wanted to learn more.  I studied for four years in high school and I started to understand my parents and why they did not teach us Spanish.  It was their secret communication  device but I had cracked their code.  My father realized that they could not talk about us anymore, since I can know understand them.  I also read Spanish magazines my abuela received at her job to really practice reading as well.  Sure they were gossip magazines but they helped nonetheless.

The culture of Puerto Rico was always alive in me.  I listen to Spanish music, learned how to cook the food and practice speaking it as well. I also took it with me wherever I went.  You may think, what does that mean?  Well, I am not afraid to say what my nationality is and do not feel ashamed of my last name.  I know my ancestors fought hard to make a place in this world with that name and who was I to destroy that?  If you look at me many think I am Italian, European, but never Puerto Rican. I guess my light skin and green eyes throw people off.  (Shrugs shoulders) I just hated when rude people would ask, " SO what are you?" like what in the hell do you mean?  I always responded with a smart answer, "Human!" In case you are one of those people who do that, please stop. No one likes to be asked that question.

It also made it difficult in the work force being a Hispanic because you get judged by your last name.  They know you are different, which means you not only have to work excellent but twice as hard as others.  In society people label you and others will judge you.  Even feel that way about my other fellow Puerto Ricans.  Since I am not "Boricua" I am a gringa because I was born in America and only know enough Spanish to get me by.  I do not like that work either, gringa. That is like the equivalent to "White girl".  Yet another label.  News flash everyone, Puerto Ricans come in all colors, shapes and sizes.  The culture is rich with Taino culture, Spanish Culture, also African culture as well. So you cannot say I am 100% anything, you could be 1% Jewish, 10% African and 89% Spanish.  

Being a Puerto Rican in America I see my grandparents wanted that American Dream and fought long and worked hard to create a better life for their family. I appreciate that and will do my best to share this with my daughters as they grow up in this world.  For them to not be afraid to embrace their culture, not be afraid to be different, not be afraid to be Hispanic. In this culture fear is what is being spread around as it has for ages.  To fear the unknown, to judge what we do not understand and to shun those who are different.  Hopefully one day we can put a stop to all of that nonsense but until then will continue to make a footprint in this world for my daughters to follow.




Comments

Popular Posts