Just a little faith.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter Sunday! I sure did.  I wanted to share something with all of you.  Growing up I was raised a Christian, my mom was Catholic and my father was raised Pentecostal. So they chose to have me and my siblings decide which paths to take to find our faith. I am glad they did.  I went to Catholic school since 4th grade and before then had no clue of the Catholic religion.  I learned their beliefs and practices but still felt like something was missing. I continued my studies and went to Catholic High school, and there I studied Theology. Theology was wonderful I got to study religion and learn of the many religions out there. I remember freshman year our teacher made us write a letter to our self about our faith. When we were seniors, we had to write something about what we learned.  I remember reflecting how I found my faith in God and thankful for the journey it took to get there.

After graduation somewhere I lost my path to God by pushing him aside.  It was not a proud moment for myself but honestly I did.  I went to church less, felt lost, I did not know where I wanted to be.  I went through many tests, I lost people I loved and started to stray from God's teachings. I thought I could fill the void in my heart, but in reality could not. Somewhere on this path I met the man who would later become my husband and realized we both felt the same way about our faith. He was raise in a strict religion and was not sure if it was right for him.  We both tried to compromise that we did want to raise our children with God's teachings but not sure where to find a place of  worship. We married in a non-denominational church since we came from different religious backgrounds. As a family we did visit a few Pentecostal churches and Catholic churches, and even a Baptist church. We frequented the Baptist church more often but still in my heart did not feel the void filled in my heart.

I stopped going to church all together and again pushed it aside. Life continued to get busy, new jobs, bought a house, got a dog, etc. I still felt something was missing. One day my daughter told me, "mom, why don't we go to church any more?"  I was caught off guard and at first did not know what to say. I told her what made her think about that. She went on to say she missed hearing the stories of Jesus and missing the great feeling she felt when she did go.  I felt my heart break a little for letting her down.  I let things get in the way of my spiritual void I was missing in my heart.  I talked to my husband about us getting back to going to church. He agreed if we could find one to visit. A friend went to a non-denominational church and invited us to visit.  I started to get information about it and thought of going.

I started to have anxiety and nervous about finding the right church and if it would be the right fit. I then decided that if I believed in God, I should not let anything get in my way.  I decided to visit the non-denominational church on Easter.  I took my daughters and together we made it to church. We were welcomed right away, saw many different backgrounds and faces all smiling and welcoming.  We went to the mass and I felt a little more whole again.  I felt great and looking at my daughters smiling when listening to the pastor speak about the teachings of Jesus and the bible made me tear up. How could I have gone astray? I was grateful though to be in that very moment to realize the missing void was my faith.

I plan on going back this Sunday and bringing my husband to visit as well. My daughters have been asking about the bible more and enjoyed the joyful songs they heard as well.  I have decided to finally get baptized and have my daughters as well.  Something I have been waiting to do a longtime.  I have realized that just because I couldn't find the right church, I should not have let myself gone astray.  You see sometimes it just takes a little faith.

Comments

Popular Posts